Saturday, November 13, 2010

Does it Hurt?

On Thursday, one of my teeth started acting up. I called the dentist and his first opening was on 11/30. I took the appointment, but had my doubts if I could wait that long. By Friday morning my face was so swollen on the right side that I could only see out of my left eye. I was supposed to go to a training class all day on Friday, but that wasn't going to happen now. Instead, I decided to just show up at the dentist office instead of calling. If I was standing there in front of them, they couldn't put me off. One look at my face and the receptionist immediately went to get the dentist. In fact, the whole office came to take a peek at my face. The only thing he could do was give me antibiotics and pain meds, but his schedule magically opened up and he had an appointment on 11/16. I got the meds and stayed at home on the sofa all day yesterday.

Today I was feeling a little better and the swelling had gone down enough that I could see out of both eyes, so I decided to go to the grocery store. I never received so many stares in my life. Every single person I passed stared at me like I was some kind of circus side show. One little old lady actually came up to me and asked if it hurt. I told her yes and she just said she was sorry. But, what I was thinking on the inside is that all of the stares are hurting a lot more than the actual pain in my face. Hubby said I should have told them that I was contagious.

I was just shocked at the number of people staring. What if I did have a disfiguring disease or if I had been born that way - that was so rude. You would think in this day and age people would not behave that way. I was taught that you treat everyone nicely regardless of what they look like and if someone looks different, you don't stare. Needless to say, I wrapped up my shopping as quickly as possible and went home. At least the dogs don't care what I look like.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness you went ahead and went in, they can't do anything for you anyways until the infection and swelling was gone.

    ReplyDelete