Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Interview Tips

Interviewing is one of those things that very few people actually like to do and I am no exception. I find that you can get a better feel for a person from their body language rather than the actual answers to their questions. When I interview someone, I prefer to do it as a panel and I only ask a couple of questions then sit back and watch the candidate as someone else asks questions.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been interviewing candidates to fill a slot on my team and I have gathered a list of tips for those who may be going on an interview soon.

Show up on time. Don't show up late and don't show up too early; 30 minutes it too early unless they have asked you to arrive that early to complete additional paperwork. Try showing up about 10-15 minutes early, they are typically ready for you at that time.

Dress appropriately. If you are not sure what the attire is for that company, dress as though you were going out on a nice dinner date. Don't wear clothes with holes, t-shirts with inappropriate wording, and definitely no flip flops.

Make eye contact. No matter how uncomfortable, look at the person who is asking the questions. Playing with items on the interviewers desk, look at the ceiling, or looking at the floor is not appropriate.

Send a thank you note. Believe it or not, this really does make a difference. In today's society, a thank you email is acceptable, but you should definitely send something.

Hopefully these tips will help someone who is out there interviewing. I know a few candidates that I spoke with sure could have used these tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment