Thursday, March 28, 2013

Nonhuman Primates

Hubby is going through a program in our city called the Citizens Police Academy.  During this 4 month program, they get to know the workings of all areas of our local police department.  During this presentation from the animal control group, it was mentioned that the city ordinance prevents residents from having a nonhuman primate as a pet.  The term nonhuman primate stuck with me.  Why not simply say you could not keep primates as pets?  So, this prompted me to began researching this term and how it came to be. 

I guess I missed the class in school when we learned that humans are a class of primates.  I tried to find out when the term nonhuman primates came in to use, but I couldn't find anything.  Every article I read made it sound like it was a common term, but I had not heard it used before.

Have any of you ever heard of a nonhuman primate?

Also, I wonder if the city would allow human primates to be kept as pets?

No comments:

Post a Comment