Thursday, January 13, 2011

City Council Board

I have been appointed to a board for our local city government and this morning I completed  my Texas Open Meetings training.  It was actually more informative that I anticipated.  Some things that I would not have necessarily considered a "meeting" could actually be considered a meeting under the Open Meetings Act.  Such as 3 members of a 5 member board discussing the board business while sitting on the sidelines at a sporting event.  Since the majority of the board members are present and they are discussing board business, that is technically a meeting and is in violation of the Open Meetings Act.  I am looking forward to serving on a city government board.  I have wanted to participate in the city government for a while and this will give me the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment