Wednesday, September 24, 2014

References and Letters of Recommendation

I am frequently asked to give references to people and I am someone who is kind of funny about references and letters of recommendation.  I have a hard time giving someone a reference or letter of recommendation unless I have complete confidence that they can do the job or task.  Thankfully, our company has a policy against employees providing references, so that gives me an easy out when it comes to a work reference.  When it comes to personal references; however, I never quite know what to say when someone asks and I am not comfortable giving one.

Sometimes I am completely honest and say that I am not comfortable doing that.  Unfortunately, that typically leads to more questions.  Sometimes, I go ahead and give the reference, but keep it extremely generic.

What would you do if someone asked you for a reference or letter of recommendation and you weren't comfortable giving it?

No comments:

Post a Comment