Monday, November 28, 2011

Collard Greens

I have been so behind in posting lately.  So, no apologies or explanations as to why, just a post about collard greens.

Hubby wanted collard greens with Thanksgiving and I had never had them, but wanted to try them.  The day before Thanksgiving I went out and got all of the ingredients.  While at the store, I met a lady name Miss Mabel.  She was giving the produce manager a hard time because all of their collard greens were unappealing.  I introduced myself and told her I was going to be trying them for the first time.  She helped me pick out a good bunch of greens and gave me some pointers on how to make them.  On Thanksgiving Day, I began following the directions and somehow misread the recipe which caused me to add too much salt (1/4 cup instead of 1 tablespoon).  Hubby tasted them when I was done and couldn't even swallow the bite because they were so salty.

Determined that I was going to make collard greens, we went out the day after Thanksgiving to get more.  After some searching I found a store with some greens left.  Using the method that Miss Mabel had showed me, I picked a nice bunch of greens.  On Sunday, I made them again with a nice pork loin and this time I used the proper amount of salt.  The came out tasting fantastic.  I loved them and they even met hubby's approval (he is a tough critic).

I have found another veggie that I will definitely cook again.  They are not quick to make, but definitely worth the time.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve been following your blog and have noticed you write about family and life. The reason I'm leaving you a comment is that I'm the Marketing coordinator for StageofLife.com, and I am looking for bloggers who might be interested in guest writing on our site. Our mission is to change the world one story at a time.

    Could we feature you? We work with talented writers and bloggers to build a network of stories, crossing all stages of life, that will help make the world a better place, and I think our readers would gain a lot from your life perspective.

    Go to www.stageoflife.com to explore what our site has to offer.

    Thank you in advance for your time and consideration and I look forward to hearing from you if you are interested. My email is megan.colyer@stageoflife.com. Thanks!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete