Saturday, September 3, 2011

Crestor

The doctor put me on Crestor about 2 years ago because my cholesterol was too high.  Since cholesterol and heart issues run in my family, I agreed to give it a try.  A few months after starting the Crestor, I began to have knee problems.  I went to the doctor and was told that my knee problems were due to arthritis and basically I needed to learn how to live with it.  Admittedly a bit frustrated, I tried to learn as much about dealing with arthritis as I could.  In the course of learning about arthritis and possible ways to deal with it, I learned that Crestor causes joint issues.  My doctor assured me that Crestor was not the problem and that my arthritis was just getting worse.  End result, keep taking Crestor and learn to deal with the pain.  There were days when the pain was so intense, I would question if I could even walk.  The pain was worse that any pain I had ever felt.  I became so annoyed with how closed minded my doctor was, that I switched doctors.  Last week I asked her if I could try going off of Crestor for a couple of weeks and see if it made a difference in the pain level.  She agreed as long as I would continue to take my other meds and watch my diet. I stopped taking Crestor the next day and after only 3 days being off Crestor, my pain level was significantly reduced.  I can walk with minimal discomfort and I truly feel like my old self again. 

I am so glad I didn't give up and just resign to taking this medication.  There is no way I will ever go back on Crestor.  I would much rather deal with elevated cholesterol than deal with the side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment