Saturday, February 21, 2009

Texan Cafe

The community we have moved in to, Hutto, has a small town feel that we really like. It has a population of 17,250; well, actually 17,252 now that we have moved here. We want to learn about the community and get involved so today we decided to have lunch at one of the local eating spots called the Texan Cafe. It is located in downtown Hutto and reminded me of Peacocks or Jake and Dorothy's in Stephenville. One of the owners was seating customers, they have a daily blue plate special, and a fantastic homemade pie selection. In the spirit of trying new things, I had sweet potato fries (I have never tried sweet potatoes before) and found that I really liked them. The food was down home cooking and we left feeling like we needed to go home and take a nap. The cafe felt really comfortable and was the type of place you could go regularly and get to know everyone. Since it was a Saturday, they were extremely busy, but we really enjoyed ourselves.

We also visited a store a couple of doors down called Everything Hippo. They sell concrete Hippo statues and just about anything else you could want in a hippo motif. The store had changed owners and the new owner was there cleaning out the store. She let us come in and look around anyway and promised to give me a call once she found the pricing of the concrete hippo statues.

I can't wait to get a hippo statue and decorate it for all of the various holidays.

1 comment:

  1. I've been to Hutto but not the Hutto Hippo place.

    Never tried sweet potato fries. If I could get just one to sample I might throw caution to the wind and have a go at it.

    ReplyDelete